This month was quite an exciting one for me. With a new job, re-launch of my personal brand website, aikido achievements, and more!Read more
Category: Life Updates
I’ve had a desire for a while to get back into blogging. For several reasons…
- The act of maintaining a website is enjoyable for me.
- I need a place to get my thoughts, feelings, and opinions out.
- I want to feel heard and connected to people. (It goes without saying that I will do my best to return a comment with a comment. 😊 )
On 27/5/2019 I started my first official class at a new dojo. The last time I practiced was sometime in 2014.
I was never graded in aikido before, and very frustrated because I couldn’t perform a roll. Hopefully my new sensei can help me achieve this action.
Anyway, returning to the mat was, no kidding, like being a baby deer on ice. And this is not just because I’m rusty – but because this dojo is much more physically demanding than the one I was at before. But this is okay actually, because I believe the physical activity is doing me some good.
One thing that prompted me to return to training was all the sitting down I was doing.
Up until recently, I spent all day sitting down at a desk (occasionally using the standing feature or taking a break to play table tennis). Then I sit down all evening to watch Netflix, YouTube, or to play a video game.
Now I look forward to spending my evenings doing physical activity, because it’s doing me some good.
By the end of 2016 I would like to:
- Have a blog with 3000 subscribers. (Or at least if that’s the combined total of followers via email, Twitter, and Facebook… that would be nice!)
- Get my membership with AWIA. (If they ever open up registrations again!!!)
- Have a competent understanding of Angular.js and/or React.js.
- Film/produce at least 3 short videos for promotional purposes.
- Figure out how to get preprocessors to work on my computer. (What is command line? I don’t even…)
- Convince people that I’m actually a better designer than developer…
- Actually get comfortable with using the command line…? o_o
Within 5 years I would like to:
- Attend a WordPress camp, or other developer conference outside of Melbourne.
- Attend a LARP in another country.
- Attend a gaming convention in another state or country.
- Be earning a decent passive income from blog mentioned above. (Probably not to live off, but any extra income is good.)
- Co-author an app/software with someone. (I cbf learning to be a full-blown programmer, but I can at least have some say in it!)
- Speak at a conference/seminar! o_o
- Win an award for something I designed, photographed, filmed, authored, or co-authored.
Within 10 years I would like to:
- Have been part of designing/co-authoring a LARP, tabletop, or board game.
- Have attended LARPs in at least two other countries.
- Have met at least one of my idols/heroes in person.
- Have my own house where I can be as messy or neat as I want! (If I’m married and/or raising a family, that’s ok too, but not a must.)
Do you have your own list of goals? Have you made a list like this before, and attempted to achieve your goals? Please share. 🙂